Saturday, July 25, 2009

Offer on a potential homestead...

After two showings, the second of which having benefited from having my father (who has owned and renovated several houses) along, I put in an offer on a farmhouse today. It's a great spot with a decent amount of land (6.5 acres) and a lot of potential. The house is 20's era, with three bedrooms, two and a half baths, a summer kitchen/enclosed porch, well and septic. It has a full basement with space for root cellaring, a nice pole barn, a small lake, and a fishin' shed. And there's an established apple tree right next to the house! Just about perfect.

Most of the upstairs of the house (2 of the 3 bedrooms and a bathroom) needs some serious renovation, but the house is fit as a fiddle where it counts... the windows, roof, and siding are all new and well installed.

It's a short sale and there are a lot of other people interested, so there is apt to be some competition. Unfortunately I'm essentially purchasing from the bank and not the seller, which has the potential to turn a short sale into a bidding war that would quickly place me outside my budget.

But I am the first offer in. And I am occasionally lucky. We'll see. I should know in 60 days or less. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment