Saturday, January 30, 2010

Basement renovation in progress...

Taking the opportunity that is far-below-freezing temperatures and a week off work to get some serious progress made on the house. My dad's been up here for most of this week, and we've begun the long process of turning the basement from a "spiders and water heater" type thing to a comfy efficiency apartment-type living space.

So far we've put up walls, insulation, drywall, and hung doors. Today we'll be working on wiring some wall plugs and a few light fixtures. Very exciting to see a space so quickly transformed, and I'm learning a lot about how to do all these things as we go.

I have learned that clearance at Home Depot can be a very advantageous thing (I've found a crap-ton of great stuff there recently at 90% or 95% off) and that the culled lumber cart there is a budding farmer's best friend. My animal barn is starting to look like a lumber yard now, and I'll soon have enough materials to build both a chicken coop and some rabbit hutches!

Heidi is growing visibly by the day... it's kind of nuts how quickly she's expanding in size. As she grows, she's looking a bit more wolflike, and I'm starting to lend credence to my dad's theory about her having Chow in her bloodline. She's also chewing on EVERYTHING. And I mean everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment