Sunday, June 13, 2010

"Rainy" weekend update...

The forecasts for rain were a bit pessimistic, and the weekend was mostly just overcast, hot, and sticky-as-hell. Spent a lot of the mid-days working in the basement on remodeling projects (my house might as well have AC down there for as cool as it stays during the day... it's like magic!

The potatoes are going crazy... I had to cover most of them with more tires and straw and I'm almost out of tires again. I hope this will translate into lots of taters later!

Took down and cleaned out my grow room, and rejoiced as it magically transformed back into my guest room. I think I'll be starting seeds in the basement next year, as the relative humidity that the process caused played hell with a lot of stuff in the guest room.

Spent an hour or so this morning picking peas. The Blanco's produced quite well despite never really finding or climbing the fence I put up for them... seems like on one side of the fence they were slightly larger and green, and smaller and properly white on the other? Interesting. Also picked some Paso and some Langston's Progress No. 9's which had smaller plantings and much smaller yields. Two 25-foot spans of pea plants yielded about two soup bowls full of fresh peas once all was shelled and done. It is a sobering thought indeed to realize that all that time, effort, and energy went into making about $1 worth of peas at current market prices.

We take for granted how cheap and easy our food has become. It is a valuable reminder indeed that such things cost more (time, money, effort) without the massive power that fossil fuels afford us.

No comments:

Post a Comment