Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The potatoes and the mosquitoes have arrived.

My vast array of potato-tire-tower starts are finally throwing up little potato leaves through the hay. I've got a LOT of tires going, so I'm hoping for a bumper crop of spuds this year when all is said and done.

The LaRatte fingerlings are in an obvious lead, with Purple Viking also showing some leaf. Peanut fingerlings, Kennebec, Russet, Nicola, and Irish Cobbler are nowhere to be seen, as of yet.

During my watering jaunt at sundown, the mosquitoes came on with such force that I eventually dropped the hose to escape back inside. My ankles and temples got it the worst (they always go for the thinnest fleshed areas on me... must be my iron hide). This is making me think of making a bunch of those aforementioned bat boxes so as to recruit an army of hungry winged mosquito assassins for the property. Either that or I need to start brewing citronella candles in 55-gallon drums...

No comments:

Post a Comment