Saturday, May 29, 2010

Solar System groundwork and sizing...

After several hours on the phone yesterday with the very knowledgeable John F. Robbins, I am now doing my homework and trying to figure out the numerical specifics of my electricity usage so I can accurately scale the solar PV system I intend to purchase and install this summer.

To keep costs down I intend to purchase the solar system as a kit, wholesale, and do the installation myself (with help and consultation from John as needed). I have also decided to set up my system as entirely off-grid, entirely disconnected from the power grid and the existing wiring in my house. This will prevent having to deal with a lot of troublesome interfacing between these systems, government regulation regarding grid-tied systems, and after I install some new wiring and outlets in the house, will offer me great flexibility on the choice of where my electricity comes from on a case-by-case basis.

To this end, I've purchased a Kill-A-Watt EZ (albeit at a local Home Depot for only $25) and am quickly becoming addicted to measuring the electricity usage of damn near everything in my house. Already made some interesting discoveries (my tiny television uses as much juice while turned off as my phone charger does while actually in use).

Got a big 3-day gardening weekend up ahead. April is in town escaping the Indianapolis 500, and brought with her a Hori Hori, which should easily dispatch dandelions as it is in fact the sharpest damn knife I've ever seen. Even pressing your finger ever-so-gently against the blade risks a cut. Look out, weeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment